Thursday, 26 November 2015

'Reasons to Love a Nerd Like Me' by Becky Jerams

Title: Reasons to Love a Nerd Like Me
Author(s): Becky Jerams
Release Date: 12th October 2015
Publisher: Amazon
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Source: Author

Synopsis:
Scotty Williams is the nerdiest 17-year-old at Havensdale College - and proud of it. However being a nerd can have its downsides, particularly when you're constantly being targeted by the school bully Taylor Raven and his cronies. As Scotty tries to navigate his final college years with the aid of his best friend Olive, he also finds himself on the radar of the mysterious and intimidating Vincent Hunter, toughest guy in the Sixth Form. Is Vincent really as bad as he seems? Will Scotty's darkest secret ever be revealed? Can he ever just finish his last few college years in peace? But most importantly... will any guy ever find the reasons to love a nerd like him?
---------------------------


I love me some nerd High-School stories.

It's like, my guilty pleasure. Everyone has their genre of choice for this type of mood, and mine is definitely this one. So, when Becky emailed me to offer her book for review I just had to jump at the chance!

Scotty is a great character. I was afraid at first that he would fall into the stereotypical nerd you see quite a lot in YA, but he wasn't really what I was expecting. Sure, he does have some aspects of his persona that you could see coming before even reading the first page (like being part of the nerdiest club in college, having almost no friends, being the 'shy outcast'), but at the same time he is brave, decisive, protective and passionate.

I have been craving diversity in books for so long, and I absolutely loved that this is an LGBT romance. Scotty has been open about his sexuality for years and is not insecure about it, something that is often used for plot advancement in this type of story. Not diminishing the importance of those 'coming of age' stories, but it was great reading a book about a gay kid that doesn't need to come to terms with who he is. It's a romance that just happens to be between men, and that's how more books should be.

Speaking of the romance, I was completely turned to mush reading this book. I had to contain myself while reading it in public because I repeatedly had the urge to smile or just break into an 'awwww'. And I'm not really that type of person when reading romances.


This might be an unusual analogy to do, but it reminded me of the way I used to feel while reading fanfiction back in the day. This story was originally posted on wattpad, and you can tell. Each chapter has that structure of ending in a high to make you want to go to the next immediately, and I missed that!

'Reasons to Love a Nerd Like Me' is not all about the romance, though. There is also a heavy undertone of bullying throughout the book, and it was brilliantly done. You go through every episode with Scotty and you feel strongly for him. Anyone that has ever been it that sort of situation can relate to the way he reacts to it, even if rationally it doesn't make that much sense. But that's what bullying is in essence, it is not rational. I was not completely on board with the ending regarding this side of the story, but to some extent I can understand it.

All in all, 'Reasons to Love a Nerd Like Me' is a fun, adorable read that also manages to touch on some serious topics without taking away from their importance. If you are looking for a diverse, refreshing book, search no more!

http://accioreviews.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/4%20stars


No comments:

Post a Comment