Tuesday, 8 December 2015

Top Ten New-To-Me Favorite Authors I Read For The First Time In 2015


While I had as one of my reading resolutions for 2015 to finish as many incomplete series as I could from my TBR, the truth was (to the surprise of no one) that I did read a few new authors throughout the year. For this week's Top Ten Tuesday (after a few weeks break, hopefully back on track now), I'm gonna share my favorites with you!

1. Sarah J. Maas

I had been hearing about the 'Throne of Glass' series for ages. It sounded like something that I would most likely enjoy, but I always have so many unread books on my shelves that I kept postponing it.
Around Christmas of last year, on one of my (too) often occurring online browsing of book retailers, I saw the first book of the series for a cheap price and ended up adding it to my cart. I didn't pick it up February, and I could see why so many people were in love with these books.

I had my issues with it, but I couldn't deny I loved Sarah's writing and world building. Later on I read the first book in her new series, 'A Court of Thorns and Roses', and was completely hooked!

I've seen a lot of controversy around the latest installment in the 'Throne of Glass' series, so I have been stalling my continuation of the books (I'm only up to 'Crown of Midnight' so far). I do own them all, so I will try and catch up throughout 2016.


2. Alice Clayton

I'm not much of a romance reader. It's not that I don't like them, I absolutely love a good romance, but it's not a genre that I go to often, and regularly when I do pick up a book in the genre, it's because I want a quick, fluffy read.

I started Alice Clayton's 'Cocktail' series earlier this year, and I have now gone through all the books. Most of them I couldn't even put down from start to finish, which accounted for a few sleep deprivation episodes.

I absolutely love her writing style! She does an incredible mix of romance and comedy that is a delight to read. Her sense of humor is just up my alley, and it's rare the page I go through in one of her books that I do not laugh out loud.

2016 will be the year where I go through the rest of her books without a doubt, and she has now joined the ranks of my 'auto-buy' authors.


3. Colleen Hoover

I know, I know. The irony of saying that I rarely read romances and then including two romance authors in a row on this list is not lost on me. Truth is, from her books I've only read 'Ugly Love'. But it was more than enough for me to go get the rest and constantly debate the idea of building her an altar for presenting the reading community with the existence of Miles Archer.

 (you're welcome)
4. V.E. Schwab

So long I've been wanting to read her books, and this year I FINALLY picked up 'Vicious'. Loved it, already bought 'A Darker Shade of Magic', and it's only a matter of time until I read everything she has ever put out and add her to my 'auto-buy' authors as well!


5. E. Lockhart

Got two of her books as an impulse buy at YALC this year and damn, was it worth it! Only read 'We Were Liars' so far, and I could not get that book out of my head for weeks. I was reeling from that ending through quite a few of the books I read after, and who doesn't love a book that messes with your head?

6. Victoria Aveyard

Another 2015 debut author, I had the chance to meet her at an event and that brought my reading of her book 'Red Queen' further up my schedule. So happy I did so, because I really enjoyed it and damn that chapter 26!

7. Amie Kaufman

I've had her under my radar for quite a while now, but it was with 'Illuminae' that I finally read something by her. If you have read my review you know that it did not disappoint in the slightest, so now I have the best excuse to go read the rest of her books. Awesome person as well!

8. Jay Kristoff

It would not be fair to include Amie but not Jay basing this choice off their co-authored book. If you don't follow him on twitter you totally should because he is just amazing, and I will definitely be trying to squeeze in his solo books into my 2016 TBR.

9. Susan Ee

It's not often that I read a book in a series and have to literally go pick up the next one from my shelf and start it, but I did that with the 'Penryn & the End of Days' series. Still need to pick up the last in the trilogy (since I didn't have it when I finished the second, the momentum died somewhat), but her world-building and writing style will be something that I will be looking forward to in her next literary adventures.

10. Stephanie Tromly

Read her debut 'Trouble is a Friend of Mine' and I can completely see myself looking out for books that she puts out in the future. She has just the perfect mix of comedy into her writing, which is one of my favorite things in the contemporary genre. Look out for her!

-------
2015 turned out to be a great year for me to discover new authors. Hopefully 2016 will be just as good!


4 comments:

  1. I read Alice Clayton for the first time this year as well! I read Nuts and it was so cute. Definitely going to check out her other work My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I need to jump on the Sarah J Maas bandwagon?
    Great Top Ten! :)

    My Top Ten Tuesday :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Sarah J Maas' books! Hope you enjoy the rest of them.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/top-ten-tuesday-34/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do need to get around to reading Sarah J. Maas sometime soonish. My TTT

    ReplyDelete