Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Books I Enjoyed Recently That Weren't My Typical Type of Book


After missing out on my Top Ten Tuesday post last week (blame university work, I certainly do), I'm back on track! This week's topic is one of my favorites, because I absolutely adore the feeling when I pick up a book that I usually wouldn't and end up loving it.

There's not a lot of them in this list (I'm only considering the last year or so of reads) because I don't go out of my reading comfort zone that often, but I'm hoping to change that!

These are in reverse chronological order, on the one hand because I didn't know how to rank them, but mostly because I might or might have not gone through my Goodreads read shelf in that way while looking for books to include. Why complicate things, right?

1. 'The Driver's Seat', by Muriel Spark


I was not expecting at all to love this book as much as I did. A compulsory read for one of my university classes, I went into it with the mentality I have for most of the books on that list, to just get it over with.

Man, was I surprised!

Do you know the feeling you get when you read the last page of a book and the first thing you feel like doing is to go back to the beginning and read it again?

That rarely happens to me, but I've been wanting to re-read this book ever since.


2. 'Much Ado About Nothing', by William Shakespeare


When I first saw that I had a Shakespeare module this year I thought I would most likely fail it. Having only read 'Romeo and Juliet' before I wasn't at all impressed with his plays, not to mention that the old English makes my brain hurt and I can't understand a thing.

This one, however, has grown on me since the first time I read it. I have since seen one adaptation and written a whole essay on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being my favorite play of his!

3.  'The Wolf Wilder', by Katherine Rundell

[Goodreads]       {Review}

Middle Grade books are definitely a genre out of my usual picks. I had been meaning to change that and give them a chance at some point and the concept of this one seemed intriguing enough for me to give it a go.

While I was expecting more from it (probably because I'm not used to reading MG) it was a good read and I will definitely be on the lookout for more of the genre in the future!



4. 'Gross Indecency', by Moises Kaufman


The second play that I have on this list (which by itself is not something that I usually read) but for this one I was mostly surprised because I had no idea it existed until I had it on a compulsory read list last year for a class (seems to be a sure-proof way to make me read out of my comfort zone).

Loosely based on the trials of Oscar Wilde, I absolutely loved the format of it and how critical it is of some subjects that are still controversial today. Would definitely recommend if you are a fan of Wilde!

5. 'Marvel 1602', by Neil Gaiman


Graphic Novels is that genre that I definitely regret not reading more of, but I never know where to start and even price wise they are a bit more costly than other books.

I had no idea this series existed and I absolutely loved it! It's a parallel universe for Marvel characters, under the idea of 'what if they lived in the 17th century?'. I definitely need to continue with this series.



6. 'The Shock of the Fall', by Nathan Filer

One of my favorite reads of 2015 and what began my quest to read more outside of my 'go to' genres.

Every time people ask me for book recommendations, this is the first one out of my mouth. Every. Single. Time. I have yet to meet a person that has not liked this book.

Just talking about it makes me want to read it again. Damn it!



--------------------------------------

What about you? Do you try and read more diversely regarding genre, story, or characters?

1 comment:

  1. I'm really considering picking up Marvel 1602 - glad you liked it! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete