Monday, 29 February 2016

February Wrap Up


Man, this month was brutal! Between having all my essays due for University, work and making sure the Pierce Brown event was a success (spoiler alert: it absolutely was), I didn't get nearly as much reading done as I wished I had. In total, I picked up 8 books, two of which I am still reading and won't be included in this post, one unfinished and another that I had to skim through so I wouldn't give up as well.

Reading slumps are the worst.

Here is the round up of my February reads!

 
-------------------------------------------

Reviewed:

Review Coming Soon:
  • 'Morning Star' (Red Rising #3), by Pierce Brown (5/5)

Other Reads:
  • 'Tropic of Cancer', by Henry Miller (1/5)
A writer moves to Paris to write his book but spends his time sleeping with and objectifying as many women as he can (literally) put his hands on instead of actually working. I felt like I needed a shower after reading this book, with how filthy it was. I don't have a problem at all with language in books, but if I wanted to deal with misogynistic idiots, I would have gone to any given bar on a Friday night.

  • 'The Driver's Seat', by Muriel Spark (5/5)
I raised my hands towards the sky and praised all the Gods I could think of when I actually enjoyed this book, has it was a compulsory read. And not only enjoyed, loved. Following one day in the life of a woman that goes away on holiday when you know as the reader that she will be found murdered the next day. Short, disturbing, and overall brilliant, this is the sort of book that will make you want to go back to the first page and read it again!

  • 'Their Eyes Were Watching God', by Zora Neale Hurston (Unfinished)
I wasn't as lucky with the rest of my compulsory reads this month, however, as I wasn't able to get past 100 pages of this book. I understand the importance of this style of books historically (giving the chance to African American writers to have their voices heard in Literature) but I just could not get into the story or connect with any of the characters, and the writing style just was not for me.

  • 'Hamlet', by William Shakespeare (1/5)
To read, or not to read, that is the question. I only managed to somewhat make my way through this because I kept trying to find parallels with 'The Lion King'. Seriously. I really wasn't in the mood to put in the work that reading Shakespeare requires of me, so I skimmed through this play to at least get a general gist of what was going on. I do enjoy the concept of it and am considering coming back to it for one of my essays, so I will probably give it another try eventually.

---------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment