Sunday, 7 February 2016

January Wrap Up

 

The first month of the year was one of productivity reading wise, having managed to finish ten books, but adding quality into the equation it wasn't the most positive balance. January marked my return to university and with it came a lot of books that I needed to read but were very outside of what I consider to be enjoyable.

At least the ones I managed to read for pleasure made up for the rest!


Reviewed:

Other Reads:
  • 'The Chimes', by Anna Smaill
Set in a world where music has replaced the written word and all memory is lost, under the watch of The Order. You can see my post for the paperback blog tour here.

  • 'Much Ado About Nothing', by William Shakespeare (3/5)
One of Shakespeare's comedies, I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to. Hard to keep up at first with the number of characters, but after seeing one of the movie adaptations I really started to appreciate this story. Full of intrigue and match making gone wrong, I would definitely recommend it if you are considering reading one of his works!

  • 'Three Lives', by Gertrude Stein (1/5)
Collection of three short stories about three different women. Seemed promising at first but the second story ran for too long; by the time I finally got to the third I just could not summon the strength or interest to care.

  • 'Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man', by James Joyce (1/5)
Church going 16 year old finds regular pleasure in sleeping with prostitutes and then questions himself repeatedly on his faith because God hasn't killed him yet. If only I was joking.

  • 'Winesburg, Ohio', by Sherwood Anderson (2/5)
Short story cycle about the lives of the inhabitants of Winesburg, brought together by the character of George Willard, a newspaper journalist. Interesting, but hard to keep track of so many characters.

  • 'Mrs. Dalloway', by Virginia Woolf (3/5)
Set in a post-World War London, we follow Mrs. Dalloway as she organizes one of her parties. The story takes place in one afternoon and I ended up enjoying it more because of one of the side characters, Septimus, a former soldier. Challenging to read because of its stream of consciousness style, but worth the effort!

  • 'The Second Shepherd's Play', by Wakefield Masters (1/5)
I have no idea what goes on in this play. There are three shepherds in it, the Virgin Mary has a surprise appearance in the end, and I think it is meant to be a play about the birth of Jesus. But who knows.

-------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment