Saturday, 30 April 2016

Camp NaNoWriMo Round Up!


Since I have been so incredibly inactive in the blogging world for the month of April I thought I should write up an update post about what has been going on. If you follow me on twitter you probably know what I've been up to but, if not, I decided to participate in Camp NaNoWriMo this month!

If you do not know what Camp NaNoWriMo is all about, it is a part of the National Novel Writing Month initiative. Every November, aspiring authors pledge to write fifty thousand words in 30 days on their writing project(s), and as stressful an experience as it is, it is an amazing cause that has originated a great amount of books and gives thousands of people that last push they need to finish their novels and an incredibly supportive community. If you would like to know more about NaNo click here, and do consider donating if you have that possibility.

Camp has a very similar premise to the November NaNoWriMo, but it runs every April and July and instead of having the strict 50k goal, everyone can set their own word count target! It also has more of a community feel to it, as writers can join cabins and connect with other people from all over the world.


I had participated in each of the sides once before, and decided to go for it again this April. I have been working on a YA Urban Fantasy with Egyptian mythology for about 9 years now, and that amount of time is just ridiculous to spend on the one story. Months and months at a time go by without me even touching that draft, but I made a resolution that I will complete a first draft until the end of 2016! (because crossing that 10 year mark would just be waaaaay too sad)

At the start of the month I had about 38k words on my draft. Because I am a compulsive editor, I tend to go back very often to try and fix the problems I stumble upon (hence why the draft has gone this long without being finished) and at most I believe it has reached around 60k on my first NaNoWriMo attempt.

Then I went back and deleted 2/3 of it.


So another of my writing resolutions has been to not, for the life of me, do any edits until I have a completed draft. It has taken a lot of will power to do so, since I have come against so many problems, but I will stand strong and not look back!

Starting at 38k, my goal for Camp was to achieve 20k words written throughout the month, taking me to almost 60k, my previous highest word count on the draft. While it might seem low comparing to November's 50k, I knew I would struggle to finish even that. April had all my deadlines for university assignments, so just on those I had to write 6000 words and do bucket loads of research, reading and referencing. And then I got sick two weeks in.

If you were wondering why there were no blog posts, yeah, this was why.

Even though I didn't manage to start writing until halfway through the month, I am quite pleased to say that through a lot of perseverance, I managed to win!!


That line was taunting me for so long and in the end it was what made me keep going and achieve my goal. I came across so many issues that I will need to fix later in editing and the pressure of achieving my daily word count goal brought on some amazing scenes that I don't think I would have come up with if I was writing them any other time, so I definitely recommend NaNoWriMo if, like me, you need that sort of pressure to get the words out of your head!

I have started doing 'Writing Vlogs' over on my YouTube Channel, so if you would like to know more details about my Camp Journey, do check out the video below!


----------------------------------------

What about you? Did you participate in Camp NaNoWriMo? If you have your own writing posts on your blog do please link them below in a comment, I love reading about other writers' progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment