Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Books I Read (and Loved) Because of Booktube


This week's Top Ten Tuesday is all about books we have read because of other people's recommendations, and I decided to do mine about booktube. Long before I joined the community myself, I often saw my TBR growing with each video I watched. I found on booktube a way to be updated about new releases on my favourite genres (and, sometimes, be intrigued by some that I thought I wouldn't!) and start eagerly awaiting novels way before their release.

In some cases I ended up reading books I otherwise wouldn't, and was often pleasantly surprised. So, without further ado, here is a list of some of the books I read because of the recommendations of booktubers, in the hope I can pass these along to other eager readers!

1. 'Afterworlds', by Scott Westerfeld

{Goodreads}

I don't remember who first introduced this book to me, but if I did I would be swarming their comment section with 'thank you's.

Having previously read some of the books from the 'Uglies' series, I wasn't too keen on giving Scott Westerfeld another try, but after seeing what this book was about I had to put that aside and read it. A book about a NaNoWriMo participant? I definitely needed in on that.

Needless to say, I immediately fell in love with it, binge read it, it is now one of my favourite books ever, and I always try to find the chance to recommend it to other people to spread the love.

Go read it. Now.

2. 'The Girl With All The Gifts', by M.R. Carey
{Goodreads}   [Review]

Back when this book was first released, everyone was incredibly intrigued by it. The blurb offered next to nothing about the plot, but at the same time introduced a main character that felt original and compelled us to read her story.

After countless videos of people talking about this I bought it, read it and loved it, even though it is in a genre that I never read. The wonders of the internet!



3. 'Illuminae', by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff


{Goodreads}     [Review]

The only reason this is not higher up on the list (as usual) is because I would definitely be reading it as soon as I read the concept regardless of where I learned it from, but it just so happened to be booktube.

The community went crazy back when the first proofs were given away at BEA, and the 'Illuminae' love has been strong ever since!



4. 'The Shock of the Fall', by Nathan Filer

{Goodreads}    [Review]

Much like 'The Girl With All The Gifts', this is a book in a genre that I rarely read but that I am so happy to have given a try to.

Booktube was filled with fantastic reviews back when this came out, and having found a cheap copy on one of my charity shop strolls I saw it as a sign. It very nearly made me cry several times, and there are so many beautiful passages I almost broke my own rule of not highlighting books!

5. 'Ready Player One', by Ernest Cline


{Goodreads}

This is one that I have only read very, very recently, but the buzz from booktube has been slowly taking me to it since when it was released.

With the movie in production I thought I would finally get around to it and, thanks to a job that lets me listen to audiobooks (Wil Wheaton is awesome in it, btw), this has now joined the list of my favourite books! If you like the 80's, video games, or are just an overall geek, this would definitely be up your alley.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There are plenty of other books I have read because of booktube, but for this top I really wanted to stick to the ones that unexpectedly because favourites, or that I otherwise wouldn't have found out about.

Has booktube filled your TBR shelf?


5 comments:

  1. I totally agree- being a bookblogger has absolutely broadened my reading horizons, and encourages me to read books I might never even consider or hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading Ready Player One and I can't wait to see what they do with the movie adaptation! :D

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had Ready Player One on my TBR for so long. I really need to get to it. I also want to read Illuminae. I keep seeing it everywhere!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked Afterworlds, it's on my TBR.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/top-ten-tuesday-78/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't watch booktube, but maybe I should because these are some great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete