Tuesday, 4 October 2016

My Favourite Book Villains


This week's Top Ten Tuesday is SO me.

If I have a weak spot for any type of character in books, it most certainly is the villain. A book with a bad villain can have everything else going for it but it will still fall flat on its face to me. Give me cringy, manic, calculatic villains any day of the week!

I didn't put this top in any sort of order, otherwise I would go insane trying to decide on my favourites. Also, this feels like a disclaimer I should be doing in the event of any of these magically coming to live and deciding to come after me...


1. Kylo Ren, 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

{Goodreads}      [Review]

Okay, I lied.

This is definitely my favourite.

Also, this counts because there is a book of it! (muahahah)

In all honesty, anyone that knows me in real life knows how obsessed I am with Kylo Ren. He's probably the best Star Wars villain ever (Darth Vader is on a whole other level of iconic), and there are so many layers to him that I rejoice with glee every time I see yet another theory related to him.

If he doesn't have some sort of redemption by the end of this trilogy, I will force choke a bitch.

2. Aidan, 'Illuminae'



This is the one I can't really go into because it becomes quite spoilery if I want to explain just why I think Aidan is an awesome villain, so please, take my word for it and go read this book if you haven't yet!

I will just say, Ultron wishes he had this level of badassery.


3.Queen Levana, 'The Lunar Chronicles'


{Goodreads}

I know quite a lot of people do not like Levana one bit, but I think she is an awesome villain for the series.

It's not often you get to see female villains done right, and I think this is one of those cases. She is probably at the top of the list of the villains I would definitely not want to meet in real life!




4. Lord Voldemort, 'Harry Potter'

{you don't need goodreads for this one, come on}

No book villain list is complete without the one that has scarred millions of childhoods, he-who-shall-not-be-named himself.

While Umbridge is a close second when it comes to Harry Potter villains, there is just something about Voldemort that still creeps me out to this day.

It's probably the nose thing.

5. Everyone, 'Vicious'


{Goodreads}

This book is all about villains and it it glorious.

I am a strong defender of the idea that a villain is the hero of their own story, and this book is a fantastic example of that. You get several characters that could go on any other fictional world and wreak havoc as a badass villain, but here you get to see their side of the story. It's also pretty much X-Men, so, you know, A++.



6. Death, 'Hunger'

{Goodreads}

If I ever have to encounter a hooded figure on my way down to Hell, I want it to be this version, please and thank you.

This is a very non-stereotypical version of Death, and I loved every single time he showed up.

He also looks like Kurt Cobain.

I rest my case.

7. Loki, 'Mythos Academy'



{Goodreads}

It's... Loki.

I really don't feel like I need to explain myself here.






8. Warner, 'Shatter Me'

{Goodreads}

I don't think I have ever read a series where there is such a turnaround where the villain is concerned, and it was the sole reason I ended up absolutely loving a series that the first book left me a bit on the fence about.

Ah, Warner...

What was I saying?


-----------------------------------------------

These are just some of the villains I love, but I thought I'd leave it at the absolute faves.

Who are your favourite bad boys (and girls?)

3 comments:

  1. I only know the Harry Potter character. Boy, I need to catch up on my contemporary villains!

    Here's my Top Ten: Vile Villains of Fairy Tales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warner made my list too, but for... ah... different reasons. :)

    Great list!

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, pretty much everyone from Vicious! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete