Wednesday, 25 January 2017

Favorite Underrated Books - TOP 5 WEDNESDAY!


It's time for another Top 5 Wednesday!

I tend to think of myself as a pretty 'mainstream' reader: if I pick up a book, it's probably because I've seen a lot of people raving about it. I very rarely venture out and pick up a book that I haven't at least heard something about, but still, I have a couple of favourites that I have taken on as a mission to spread like wildfire because they certainly deserve more love than they get.

Soooo, here they are! (I'm always so awful at transitions. Let's ignore that.)

1. 'Afterworlds', by Scott Westerfeld


Every time I have a chance to try and convince people to read this book I take it, because I STILL BARELY SEE PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IT.

*ahem*

 I absolutely love the premise of this book, and how it manages to contain two stories: a contemporary about a girl who writes a NaNoWriMo novel and gets a book deal, and the fantasy book she wrote. Not only is it greatly written, but as an aspiring author it's also great inspiration!


2. 'Between The Lives', by Jessica Shirvington


This was a book that I picked up after randomly coming across it and so I dove in without any outside opinions, and absolutely loved it!

It has been a while since I read it, but I still remember vividly how much it blew my mind and how I wanted to go immediately back to the first page and read it again.

I never see anyone mentioning this book, and I thoroughly recommend it.

3. 'Blame', by Simon Mayo


This book did have some buzz around it when it came out last year, but not nearly as much as it deserves, in my opinion.

Considering the political state in which we find ourselves now and what might still be ahead of us, I think this is an incredibly poignant read that (hopefully not) could soon cross the line into reality.

The main character is also a WOC, if you are looking for diverse reads!

4. 'Children of Icarus', by Caighlan Smith

[Goodreads]    {Review}  

This is very literally a case of an underrated book, as it only has little over 150 ratings on Goodreads.

I don't even think I have another book on my read pile with less.

I was immediately hooked by the way in which mythology was used in this narrative and the originality with the voice of the protagonist. I hope this finds the audience it deserves, because I want the sequel so bad!

5. 'The Driver's Seat', by Muriel Spark


I only read this book because it was on a reading list for one of my modules at university, and I doubt I would have otherwise as I had never heard of it before.

I've featured it on several lists here on the blog because it is so brilliantly good and has such a fantastic plot twist that I recommend this very short read to anyone. It might have a lot of critical acclaim, but I would love to see it talked about more in the 'mainstream'!

------------------------------------------------

Had you ever heard of (or read, in which case I will love you forever) any of these?

Please do share with me your choices if you also made a top 5 this week, I'm always up to read some hidden gems!


No comments:

Post a Comment