Saturday, 28 January 2017

I Dare You Book Tag


I've been tagged in several book tags over the time I've had the blog but, for some reason, I never got around to them... *hides in shame*

I used to do them all the time when I was still doing booktube, but I never got into doing the written version of them. So, here is my attempt at catching up with all the posts I've been tagged on by some very lovely people!

This first post will be the 'I Dare You' Book Tag, and I was tagged by Rachel over at Rustling Reads, so make sure you go and check her blog out!

This tag was created by BookFandom1001, and these are the very simple rules
  • You must be honest
  • You can't not answer a question
  • You have to tag at least four people

Let's see how this goes, shall we?

 
----------------------------
 
1. Which book has been on your shelves the longest?

Since I moved to the UK four years ago and didn't bring any books with me, luckily I don't have a super embarrassing admission ahead of me for this one. But, after going through my shelves, it's still mildly disconcerting how long 'Longbourn' by Jo Baker has been sitting there.

I'm rarely in the mood for historical/period novels and, as much as the idea of Pride and Prejudice told from the point of the servants really appeals to me, it has gone unread for over three years!

2. What is your current read, your last read and the book you’ll read next?

My last read was 'The One Memory of Flora Banks' by Emily Barr, which is also the only book I've finished so far in 2017 (I'm having a very relaxed stance with reading this year, it was one of my resolutions!).

I am currently reading two books (which I don't do often, I tend to stick to one at a time): I'm suffering my way through 'Tess of The D'Urbervilles' by Thomas Hardy for a class (otherwise I would have given up ten pages in) and thoroughly enjoying 'Heartless' by Marissa Meyer!

I don't really plan what I'm going to read next, as I just tend to pick up what 'tickles my fancy' at the moment I finish something else. I have two review books sitting on my shelf though, so I might go for either of them: 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' by Alexander Freed or 'See You In The Cosmos' by Jack Cheng.

3. What book(s) did everything like and you hated?

'Hate' is a bit of a strong word, but it definitely applies to 'Heir of Fire' by Sarah J. Maas. I'd been mildly enjoying the series, but that book definitely put me off of ever picking up the rest. I was so mad about it that I even made an entire video around that anger. Ain't nobody got time for romanticized abusive relationships!


4. Which book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?

I absolutely love the 'Les Miserables' musical, and often think that I would like to read the Victor Hugo novel it is based on. Realistically, however, it is the size of a brick and I know that it is immensely descriptive, would take me forever and then I would most likely not like it as much as the musical, as it has happened before (I'm looking at you, 'Wicked' by Gregory Maguire), so I am fully aware that if I ever actually pick it up, I will be surprising even myself.

5. Which book are you saving for “retirement”?

Probably 'Les Miserables', who knows? I honestly have no clue how much my reading tastes will change until then, but I know I will probably be reading really long books that I don't have the chance to pick up now!

6. Last page: read it first or wait till the end?

If there is one thing I hate when it comes to reading (and any entertainment, for that matter) is spoilers, so definitely wait until the end. What is the point of knowing what is going to happen before you get to it? The only exception to that is if I'm really not enjoying a book, and so I go and check out what happens throughout (maybe not skip all the way to the end right away, but skim until then) to see if anything I'm not expecting happens. I very rarely do this, and I don't think I've ever had it happen that I went back and kept reading, because usually I'm right in my dislike of them...


7. Acknowledgements: waste of ink and paper or interesting aside?

I absolutely love reading acknowledgements! I'll often even read them before reading the book, but I tend to avoid it as I've been spoiled before. It's not only interesting to see how many people are involved in the creation of a book and reading their names is the least we can do to thank them for their time, but I also find it an interesting insight into an author's personality. Sometimes it's a complete surprise to see the difference in tone from the fiction to their own voice, and it's one of my favourite things in books!

8. Which book character would you switch places with?

Anyone from the 'Harry Potter' series. But, like, someone that went to school before Harry, because I would really just like to go to class and enjoy my life without the constant threat of, you know, death.

This is essentially just because I really want to go to Hogwarts. I would say 'don't judge me', but I bet a lot of you would do the same given the chance!

*still waiting on that pesky letter*

9. Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life?

I can't really come up with any examples which relate to the plot of a book, but in general I definitely have a very vivid and cherished memory related to 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'.

Back when it was first released I could already read in English but had decided to stick with waiting for the translations, since I'd read all the earlier books in Portuguese. After months of torture, avoiding spoilers and having reserved a copy at a shop near my school, release day finally came. I barely slept the night before, and it was pouring rain, but even then I trekked all the way to the shop (it was almost 1 hour away, uphill), waited for the shop to open, immediately went home and red straight until the early hours of the morning.

No other book since (even the remaining HP books) caused that kind of anticipation and eagerness in me, and I think back to that day a lot.

Also because I managed to spoil myself on the death of my favourite fictional character of all time (the book fell open on a random page, and the person dies right at the top), but we do not talk about that. Ever.

 
10. Name a book you acquired in some interesting way.

As a self proclaimed boring person, I seem to be very traditional on the way in which I acquire books. I remember getting a couple from the 'Lost and Found' when I used to work at a train station and people forgot stuff behind all the time, but I don't think I ever actually read any of them: I just passed them along or donated them.

11. Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person?

I will take any chance I get to give books to people, but again, can't really think of any one case that stands out. But managing to get signed books to give away is always great!

12. Which book has been with you to the most places?

Man, this middle part of the tag is getting quite boring. Go and make yourself a cup of tea if you want, I don't seem to have anything interesting to say!

Sadly I haven't traveled much (something I very much want to remedy), and when I do I don't really take books with me, as I like to enjoy my time away as much as I can. And there's valuable suitcase space to be considered!

Does my yearly trek to YALC with half of my shelves to get signed count?

13. Any “required reading” you hated in high school that wasn’t so bad two years later?

Since I do not like torturing myself, if I hated a required read for school I never tried to pick it up again, so, no. I actually didn't have much required reading to do in high school, so I couldn't even do it out of curiosity now, because the ones I do remember reading I loved!


14. What is the strangest item you’ve ever found in a book?

 Luckily I don't think I've ever found anything weird, just plenty of receipts as makeshift bookmarks!

15. Used or brand new?

Either. I am an absolute fan of charity shops and do a round around my local ones often specifically to go to their book sections, and have no issues with buying used books as long as they are in good condition (mostly, not having broken spines). If it's books for uni then I definitely go used, since they are cheaper and most of the times I just get rid of them once the year is over. But there's always those amazing new releases taunting me, so then there is nothing better than cracking open a brand new copy!

16. Have you ever read a Dan Brown?

Okay, embarrassing moment time.

Dan Brown used to be one of my favourite authors.

PLEASE, DON'T GO.

I was given some of his books when I was young, and since I didn't really have the means to buy new books or had any libraries near me, I read them over and over again. They're probably the books I've re-read the most after the Harry Potter series.

He released one when I was about 19 or so, and I thought 'oh well, let's give this a go.' It wasn't awful, but I just grew out of them. I guess you learn to like something when you don't have any other choices to go for? I wonder what would happen if I re-read any of them now.

I do believe there are definitely worse books to read out there, to be honest.

17. Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?

 I just went to check my read list on goodreads and the first one that jumped out was 'The Princess Diaries'. It's not like the book is bad, but the movie is an entire different level of awesome.


18. A book that NEVER should have been published.

Starts with 'Fifty', ends with 'Grey'. Yeah, that one.

19. Have you ever read a book that’s made you hungry, cookbooks being excluded from this question?

I'm currently reading 'Heartless' by Marissa Meyer and the main character bakes a lot. Marissa's descriptions are so vivid that I find myself with a rumbling stomach, even for cakes and things that I would normally not go for!

20. Who is the person whose book advice you’ll always take?

I don't think there's anyone that I will blindly read anything they recommend to me; I'll always have to read the blurb and see if it remotely interests me anyway before going in. Especially while I'm in the midst of university I barely ever have time to read my own stuff, so I have to be quite selective. There is, however, a lovely publicist that I adore (don't really know if I should name her or not, hopefully she'll know if she sees this) and I always make time to read what she sends me, because she has yet to steer me wrong!

-------------------------------------------

Damn, that was a long tag! I didn't look at the questions before writing down the answers and I didn't think there would be this many... That's my fingers exercised for the day.

So, I am tagging (sorry if you've already done this, girls, by this point I'm too tired to double check!):

Here's a cute gif as a thanks for making it through the extra long post.

No comments:

Post a Comment