Tuesday, 31 January 2017

On Writing - January 2017


Hello, hello, and welcome to a new monthly feature here on the blog! I mentioned on my New Years Resolutions post that I wanted to diversify my content beyond the reviews, wrap ups and Top posts, and with me leaving Youtube I thought one of the easiest ways to do that would be to move my writing updates here.

It is also a way for me to actually make time to write, so I have something to show for it at the end of the month! Really, it's a win/win situation.

 
I'm borrowing Stephen King's writing craft book title for these updates, because 1) I'm awful at titles and 2) it's actually a great book and I recommend you check it out if you're a writer.


I haven't really discussed my writing here other than for a NaNoWriMo post, as I used to do videos about it on my booktube channel. So, if you'd like to see how my 2016 was in terms of writing here are some links! (spoiler alert: I didn't do that much)


I've noticed I tend to be a bit vague when it comes to explaining what I am working on, and the truth is I am very protective of it, but I also haven't narrowed down a pitch that explains the overall plot of it without me going on and on about the story.

The easiest way I can explain it is that it is a YA Urban Fantasy novel, the first in a series, and it revolves around the myth of Osiris from Egyptian mythology; not as much a retelling but a continuation in present day, as it were. Imagine 'The Mummy' (Brendan Fraser ftw) crossed over with 'The Ghost Whisperer', and that's essentially it! I have 'Soul Keeper' as a place holder title but, like I said earlier, I'm awful at titles and I'm hoping a better one will find its way to me eventually.


Now that that not-so-little introduction is out of the way, let's get to the actual update side of things!

There is a bit of a gap since my last writing related update in October, so let's start there. Back then I was feeling bleak about my writing, but at the same time I desperately wanted to finish a first draft by the end of the year. Unfortunately my mental health got in the way, and I finished the year with nearly 73500 words.

That's not a bad point to be at, and I'm estimating I should be done by the 90-100k mark. I know there is a lot that needs cut and worked on once I start edits, so it should probably go down to about 80k once it is halfway decent.

Being so close to the finish line I was really excited to cross it as early in the year as I could, and I had a really nice writing session earlier in the month, as I planned out a routine to fit in writing time along with my university course load.

But, as soon as I finished the scene I was working on, I hit a wall.

The last stretch of the novel is what has always been the clearest in my mind from the very beginning, and I dragged myself through the nasty middle with the encouragement that I would get to write that ending one day. But now that I got to it, insecurity has settled in.

What if I don't make it justice?

I have been battling with this for most of the month, and on the practical side of things I also need to figure out a transition scene into that last stretch. I am so happy with the last couple of chapters that I wrote that it almost feels like I don't want to leave that setting.

So, in the end, I only wrote 1800 words in January. I now have thirteen chapters done (which severely need dividing in editing), and and entire last arc to do. No pressure.


February brings with it the beginning of my university deadlines and an overall increase in the time I need to dedicate to classes, but I think I have figured out that transition and will brave this last stretch of the marathon. I'm not committing myself to finishing the whole thing, but I definitely want to write more than I did in January (I never thought I'd complain about having a semblance of a social life, but it's taking away precious writing time). Because that number is honestly depressing.

I think that is it for January! The best way to describe the way I'm feeling now is as if I were standing at the edge of a cliff, after having planned and prepared for that jump hundreds of times, but I am still afraid to do it. The parachute is there, but it's impossible to not think about what would happen if it didn't open.

Considering the entire concept of this story came to me with an image of two people falling from a cliff, I think this is probably a sign that I am on the right track. Fingers crossed, and I hope I come to you with better news at the end of February!

-------

Inspirational quote of the month:

'The first draft is just you telling yourself the story.'

- Terry Pratchett

No comments:

Post a Comment