Thursday, 29 June 2017

April - June Wrap Up


Haven't done one of these in a while, have I?

*hides in corner*

After spending 6 months reading at lightning speed for university, I have found myself in a slump of sorts, where the last thing I really feel like doing is reading. I don't even feel bad about it, not completely; sure, I would like to say I've tackled the gigantic amount of books on my shelves that I have yet to read, but, at the same time, I'm happy to be spending my time doing other things, and enjoying the summer before my last year of university. Honestly, I hadn't even noticed that I didn't pick up a single book in June until now, but busying myself with other things that also make me happy is a replacement I will gladly make.

I will be starting on my reading list for that this coming month, though, so that will inevitably raise the very sad number of books I have read so far this year.

So, these are the books I picked up in the past three months:


Reviewed:

Other Reads:
  • 'Representing Men: Maleness and Masculinity in the Media', by Kenneth MacKinnon (5/5)
I read this for an essay that I did for one of my classes, where we studied representations of masculinity in media, and it was a really great read. Usually, in these situations, I only skim books for quotes that fit into what I want to write about, but this was so interesting that I ended up reading the whole thing. It's mind-boggling how much you can find on feminism and representations of women but not about how men are portrayed. It's a very easy read that serves as a fantastic entry point into this theoretical area, so, if you are interested in this sort of subject, I would definitely recommend this. It's a very short book, too!

  • 'The Flash: The Haunting of Barry Allen', by Susan Griffith (Unfinished)
'The Flash' is one of my favorite shows on TV right now, and so I jumped at the opportunity to read a book set in the same universe. However, I did not make it too far into the story. I don't know if it is due to me having been in this slump of sorts, but it just did not read as The Flash to me. Every character seemed completely out of character with everything they said or did, and the writing style made it very difficult to engage with the story. There were a couple of cool scenes where you can see Barry's point of view as he is using is powers, which helped understand how he feels and reacts to things when he is running so fast, but other than that this was a complete disappointment. Maybe just not for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment